Meet Alexa and Sam
On Sam's second day of working for Lemleys' Catering (way back in 1989), Max told her that her main job duty was to keep his spirited daughter Alexa out of trouble. While we don't know how well that worked, we do know that they were inseparable until Sam left for college, often catering side by side.
After school, Sam moved to Baltimore, and Alexa moved to Louisville. The two kept in touch, even though Sam was too stubborn and silly to appreciate Alexa's love.
In 2000, Chef Alexa returned to Columbus, Indiana to help her dad, Max, run Lemleys' Catering. She convinced Sam to do the same in 2005. Once again, they were catering side by side. This time, they were living together, too. When Max retired from catering, he entrusted the operations of the family business to the two of them.
In 2007, Chef Alexa and Sam began making marshmallows to promote the catering business. That led to the creation of 240sweet. Along the way, Chef Alexa's foods were featured in Martha Stewart Weddings, O (the Oprah Magazine), Food & Wine Magazine, Serious Eats, Daily Candy, and all sorts of stuff. In 2013, they created 240sweet Artisan Foodworks to continue the family legacy of food innovation.
Chef Alexa and Sam own and operate 240sweet confections, Artisan Foodworks catering, the S’more Mobile, Little Pot Spirits, and other food/beverage businesses.
For fun, Chef Alexa and Sam love to go on road trips around the country, stopping at neat things they find. They also enjoy trying out new recipes at home and gardening.
Here are some of their accolades:
- 240sweet winner “Best Sweet Dish” at the New York City Bacon and Beer Class 2016.
- Chef Alexa named Overall Champion at Denver Bacon and Beer Classic (now on to compete in World Food Championships 2016).
- 240sweet LLC certified as LGBTBE in March 2016.
- Artisan Foodworks named #3 of Top 5 Dinner Party Caterers by Indianapolis Monthly in December 2015.
- Sam received the Hoosier Hospitality Award 2015 by Indiana’s Lt Governor.
- Chef Alexa crowned Grand Champion in the American Dairy Association Indiana Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Cook-Off 2015.
- Artisan Foodworks named Winner of “Most Creative” and “Best Gluten Free” for Popcorn and Lobster Soup at Indiana Soupfest 2015.
- Chef Alexa and Sam Recognized by “Go Magazine” in 2011 and 2014 for being “hot” and outstanding woman entrepreneur.
- Chef Alexa named “Local Food Hero” Best Chef 2013 and Best Food Artisan 2012 and 2013 by Edible Indy Magazine.
- Chef Alexa received the Hoosier Hospitality Award 2013 by Indiana’s Lt Governor.
- Chef Alexa awarded the designation of “20 under 40” by Columbus Young Professionals in 2011.
- Chef Alexa and Sam inducted into Indiana Artisan in 2008 in recognition of the superior craftsmanship of our 240sweet marshmallows.
- Sam awarded the designation of “20 under 40” by Columbus Young Professionals in 2011.